What is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile Dysfunction (ED), also called impotence, is the inability to achieve or maintain an erection for sexual activity. Multiple systems in the body work together to produce an erection, such as:
- Blood vessels
- The Brain
In addition to impeding overall well-being, persistent ED can indicate a potentially serious underlying condition. Many people assume that ED is a normal part of aging; however, age-related changes in the body should not keep men from striving to be their healthiest and happiest.
At KMI, we understand the severity and sensitivity of ED. If you believe you may be suffering from ED, you are not alone. Our trained medical staff will guide and provide you with resources to improve your sexual, emotional, and physical health.
Causes of ED
ED can be a symptom of an underlying medical issue, the product of a psychological or emotional concern, or a combination of the two. Below are some of the causes of ED:
- Diabetes/high blood sugar
- High blood pressure
- Cardiovascular disease
- High cholesterol
- Drug use
- Excessive alcohol
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Relationship conflicts
- General stress
- Performance anxiety
Treatment for ED
Measuring and Replenishing Optimal Testosterone Levels
- Because ED can arise from various physiological conditions, some people may require advanced testing.
- Testosterone is the male sex hormone that is primarily responsible for libido. If a man has low testosterone, is it likely that his overall arousal impulses are significantly hindered, resulting in ED as a secondary effect. Managing ED with bio-identical hormone replacement therapy is a safe and effective treatment in these circumstances.
Treatment for ED
- As emphasized, in order to effectively treat ED, it is critical to address and treat any underlying conditions in addition to alleviating the primary symptoms. Regarding medication, some phosphodiesterase (PDE) inhibitors such as Tadalafil (sold under the brand name Cialis) can be taken on an as-needed basis or once daily. Research on low-dose Tadalafil taken once daily has shown many benefits such as
- More spontaneous intimacy
- Reduced side effects
- Slows the progression of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
- Cardiovascular protective effects
- If you have further questions on tadalafil dosage and whether you would be a good candidate for this medication, please contact our office.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What if I feel embarrassed to bring up ED with my doctor?
- It is completely understandable to feel hesitant to bring up details about your intimacy. However, it is important to remember that physicians and healthcare providers are there for you in all aspects of your health; including your sexual health. At Premier Physicians, we aim to destigmatize ED and normalize conversations about systemic well-being.
- What are the side effects to Tadalafil?
As with any medication, some people may experience side effects. As the safety and efficacy of Tadalafil have been tested, in general, these side effects are less commonly experienced.
- Spontaneous penile erection, increased erection, sweating, nervousness, headache, dizziness, chills, blurred vision, confusion, cold sweats, pounding in the ears, pain/discomfort in the arms, jaw, neck or back, nausea, unusual tiredness or weakness, slow or fast heartbeat